Welcome to our frequently asked questions for our High Adventure charter
Q- How does this charter compare to the BSA Florida Seabase program in Islamorada, FL?
A- Our high adventure charter is humbly modeled after the BSA Seabase’s “Coral Reef” program but retains some unique differences:
- Namaste ECO will allow scouts 11 years old and up, Seabase starts at 14.
- We offer a much stronger focus on ecology providing lots of in-water, professionally facilitated, activities involving underwater photography, species identifications, and coral reef awareness.
- We have a full time snorkel/ecology guide on staff and accompanies each of our high adventure charters.
- We carry a safety boat which is always available for emergencies and general snorkeler safety
- We only put 8 crew per boat (except for the larger cameramans) making the experience a little more pleasant.
Q- Can you accommodate larger troops?
A- Currently we are able to accommodate troops up to 20. However, with sufficient notice ( 3 to 4 months) we can contract with other boats to accommodate larger troops.
Q- Can scouts fish with a Namaste ECO high adventure?
A- Yes, but all those wishing to fish must obtain proper Florida licensing.
Q- Does Namaste ECO adhere to BSA policies and procedures such as “two deep” adult supervision.
A- Yes, but Namaste ECO staff and captains cannot serve as adult leaders and do not count as a second adult.
Q- What if our troop would like to spend one of days sightseeing in Key West?
A- Namaste ECO is based out of Key West so arranging time here is relatively easy. If we need to take a slip for the night (highly recommended) we will add the cost of the slip to the charter.
Q- What gear should our scouts bring?
A- As with all adventure outings you should bring enough extra clothes to be comfortable but at the same time remember most of our time is either in or on the water so swim suits and light t shirts will go along way. Sleeping gear should not be overlooked. Bring a sleeping pad , and/or jungle hammock, light blanket, or sheet. You should be prepared for the occasional rainstorm so light fowl weather gear or pancho should be included. Please keep in mind that even though our boats range in size from 41 to 62 feet, storage space is a premium so pack light.
Q- Is there a weight restriction for participants?
A- Yes, for safety concerns we limit the weight of participants to 250 lbs for young adults (17 and under) and 275 for adults.