Reef Report for the week of 9-22-14
The operative word for this week’s snorkeling chances is a strong “Maybe”. Looks like we will experience a wind surge starting late Monday afternoon and lasting through Thursday morning. A wind surge usually bumps the wind up to 20 and with that comes 2 to 4 foot seas which is way less than stellar. Also, higher seas stir up the water quite a bit so the water will be a little more cloudy than usual.
Oh yea, did I mentioned the Jellyfish? On yesterday’s excursion we encountered a lot of Moon Jellies. Capt Trish took a big hit and needed some of our “Sting Remedy” within 10 minutes of being in the water. Normally Moon Jellies don’t pack that much of a punch but these guys must be mutants or something. Its not uncommon for a late Summer jellyfish bloom but when you couple that with higher seas and breaking waves the water can get a little itchy.
My advice for this week is wait until at least Thursday and then check the wind forecast. Perhaps we will catch a break and have things settle out earlier verses later. If you simply can’t wait or will be leaving before Thursday inquire about a trip to Cottrell Key. It is usually protected from the southeast wind and there seems to be less Jellyfish on the Gulf side. There are a few excursions in Key West that will run out to Cottrell (unfortunately not us 🙁 ). Call around and ask specifically for Cottrell Key and see what they tell you.
Thats it for today and in keeping with our commitment to shameless plugs we are still offering a 10% discount for all on-line bookings. Just type in “reef” in the discount code field on our booking website. Till next week, Respect the Reef!